Saint Louis University’s promotion and tenure (P&T) process involves independent internal and external reviews of applicable evaluation standards at multiple levels with recommendations made at each level, ultimately resulting in a decision by the provost.
SLU’s colleges, school, and libraries have faculty P&T or comparable committees; in some units, there are departmental committees as well. Department chairs and deans contribute evaluations on their respective faculty. In addition, external evaluations are sought for tenure track and many non-tenure track cases. All dossiers submitted for consideration for promotion and/or tenure are reviewed by the University Committee on Academic Rank and Tenure (UCART). Dossiers along with the recommendations made at each level are forwarded to the provost for a decision. Adverse decisions at that level may be appealed to the president, whose decision is final.
Section III.F.1-4 of The Faculty Manual contains general norms for advancement for the ranks of instructor, assistant professor, associate professor, and professor. More specific standards are developed and employed in some departments as well as at the college level. These standards are available from the respective units. Section III.E. of the Manual provides general procedural information.
Academic unit-specific P&T questions about the evaluation process or standards should be directed to the pertinent unit. General questions about the P&T process, including the role of the UCART, should be directed to the Office of Faculty Affairs.
- Application Cover Sheet AY18-19
- TT Dean Form
- TT Chair Form
- TT Colleague Form
- TT External Cover Form
- TT External Cover Form (School of Medicine only)
- NTT Dean Form
- NTT Chair Form
- NTT Colleague Form
- NTT External Cover Form (if applicable per unit guidelines)
- NTT External Cover Form (if applicable per unit; School of Medicine only)
- Student Evaluation Form
University Committee on Academic Rank and Tenure (UCART)
- Terry Tomazic, College of Arts and Sciences [Chair]
- Eddie Clark, College of Arts and Sciences
- Nitish Singh, Richard A. Chaifetz School of Business
- Retha Meier, School of Education
- Theodosios Alexander, Parks College of Engineering, Aviation and Technology
- Gretchen Salsich, Doisy College of Health Sciences
- Sam Jordan, School of Law
- Ronald Crown, University Libraries
- Sharon Frey, School of Medicine
- Norma Metheny, School of Nursing
- Jennifer Giancola, School for Professional Studies
- Steven Rigdon, College for Public Health and Social Justice