Caps and gowns are keepsakes and made of a high-quality material. All undergraduate gowns are purchased, not rented, eliminating the need for separate measuring and pick-up dates and the inconvenience of returns after the commencement ceremony.
For Ph.D. and Ed.D. students order information will be emailed to your SLU email address directly from the Saint Louis University Barnes & Noble Bookstore at the end of February.
All online orders for May commencement must be placed by March 19, 2018.
If you choose not to order online, plan to purchase your regalia at the bookstore during the graduation fair from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, April 12, and 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, April 13 or any time through May 18.
In addition, representatives are available to assist you with announcements, rings, frames and other graduation-related merchandise.
If you are unable to attend the graduation fair, please call 314-531-7925 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
During the grad fair students will be able to:
- Pay for and pick up cap and gown ordered online.
- Order class rings with Balfour
- Order announcements.
- Purchase diploma frames
- Visit with Alumni Relations and other departments
- Drawings and fun prizes on April 12 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. during Grad Fun Fest
- Write on the Memory Wall
Custom personalized announcements may be purchased any time online at cbgrad.balfour.com or by calling toll-free 800-433-0296.
Class rings are a timeless symbol of your achievements at Saint Louis University. Balfour rings are available in the bookstore at all times, online at Balfour or during the Graduation Fair. You can also order by phone at 877-BALFOUR.
Diploma frames are available in the bookstore year-round.
Honors Cords, Tassels and More
Honors recognition items (cords, tassels, stoles, etc.) are given out by some academic programs, honor societies and student organizations. Contact your academic department or student organizations for more information and to see if you qualify.
Commencement Adornment Policy
In recognition of the degree or certificate being granted, as well as the service component of a graduate's Jesuit education that supports it, the following adornments are allowed during a commencement ceremony:
- Medals, pins, honor cords and stoles conferred by SLU (the institution as a whole).
- Medals, pins, honor cords and stoles conferred by a recognized SLU organization, or by a SLU school, college or center.
- A stole or cord issued or supported by the University's Office of International Services.
- A red, white and blue cord worn by active military and veterans.
- Adornments to the top of the mortarboard; however, these are limited to adornments that represent the degree being granted. Three dimensional adornments on the mortarboard are not permitted.
- All graduates, irrespective of program or degree, are required to wear the traditional cap and gown appropriate to the degree being conferred. The wearing of the hood, when appropriate, is optional but highly recommended.