After graduation, SLU grads head out into the world to make a difference — in their
fields, in their communities and in the lives of others. The University is pleased
to honor their achievements with a variety of awards.
Alumni Merit Awards
An Alumni Merit Award is bestowed upon a distinguished graduate from 11 of SLU’s schools,
colleges and centers in recognition of his or her outstanding achievement, dedication
to a chosen profession and commitment to the mission of the University.
The following schools are eligible for the Alumni Merit Awards:
- College of Arts and Sciences
- John Cook School of Business
- School of Education
- Parks College of Engineering, Aviation and Technology
- Doisy College of Health Sciences
- School of Nursing
- School for Professional Studies
- College for Public Health and Social Justice
- Institute of Technology
- Center for Advanced Dental Education
- School of Medicine
Alumni are welcome to nominate their fellow SLU graduates for the awards. To be considered
for that calendar year’s awards, nominations must be submitted by Friday, March 31. To
nominate an alumnus or alumna for a 2017 award, please click here.
Recipients are honored at an annual award ceremony held on Thursday, September 21,
2017 during Homecoming and Family Weekend.
2016 Alumni Merit Award Recipients
- John P. Coyne, ’59 – College of Arts and Sciences
- Aron E. Dellinger, ’99 – Center for Advanced Dental Education
- Mark R. Bell, ’67 – John Cook School of Business
- Lara A. Lennaman, ’03 – Parks College of Engineering, Aviation, and Technology
- Anne G. Perry, ’76 – School of Nursing
- Joseph F. Steurer, ’59 – Institute of Technology
- Susan A. Klepper, ’66 – Doisy College of Health Sciences
- Larry C. Chang, ’89 – College for Public Health and Social Justice
- William J. Dowling, ’83 – School for Professional Studies
- Mary A. Bruemmer, ’60 – School of Education
- Peter J. Dempsey, ’66 – School of Medicine
BAA Distinguished Service Award
The Black Alumni Association’s annual award honors those who make outstanding contributions
to the African-American community through religious, cultural, civic, professional
and/or educational efforts and accomplishments. Nominees need not be a SLU graduate,
however, the award is not given posthumously.
To nominate an individual for the award, send the award application and corresponding
materials to LaVerne Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Order of the Fleur de Lis Hall of Fame
Inclusion in the School of Law’s Order of the Fleur de Lis is granted to alumni who
bring honor to the school through their professional success, significant contributions
to the community and demonstrated Jesuit spirit.
Honorees are inducted into the hall of fame in an annual ceremony.
Alumni are welcome to nominate fellow graduates for induction to the order, however,
nominations for the 2016 awards have closed. Inductees are selected by a committee
comprising the dean, alumni and staff.
2015 Order of the Fleur de Lis Inductees
- John (Jack) M. Bray (’62)
- Honorable Kathianne Knaup Crane (’71)
- Irvin (’54) and Maggie Dagen*
- Doreen D. Dodson (’74)
- John E. (Jack) Dunsford* (’56)
- Vincent C. Immel*
- Sandra H. Johnson
- Honorable Theodore McMillian* (’49)
- Michael D. O'Keefe (’61)
- Peter W. Salsich Jr. (’65)
- Eileen H. Searls
- John C. Shepherd* (’51)
- Honorable Paul J. Simon (’60)
- Jon A. Theobald (’70)
School of Medicine Pioneer Award
Established in 2002, the Saint Louis University School of Medicine’s Pioneer Award
periodically recognizes graduates who have made outstanding contributions to or a
significant impact on their profession or community, setting a path for others to
Past Pioneer Award recipients
- 2011: Patricia L. Monteleone, M.D. (’61)
- 2007: Harry Revels III, M.D. (’56)
- 2002: Mary Nawrocki McGinnis, M.D. (’52)
School of Medicine Alumni Association Community Service Award
Established in 2011, this award recognizes and honors service demonstrated by School
of Medicine graduates.
- 2015: Herman J. Echsner, M.D. (’52)
- 2013: Howard M. Place, M.D. (’83)
- 2011: William M. Fogarty, Jr., M.D. (’60)
School of Medicine Early Achievement Award
Established in 2015, this award is presented to an alumna/alumnus who graduated from
the Saint Louis University School of Medicine within the last 20 years and who has
demonstrated excellence in medical practice or research, service to the community
and/or commitment to Saint Louis University.
- 2015: Edward C. Chen, M.D. (’05)